This workshop tour is designed for beer lovers who want to learn more about the craft and history of brewing. On Friday, August 14th The Centre for Hospitality and Culinary Arts at George Brown College is taking you an educational excursion to several unique brewers in Toronto where you will get an appreciation for different beer styles and how they are made.
The day begins at George Brown College’s St. James Campus, where Troy Burtch of Great Lakes Brewery will lead an introductory lesson and beer tasting. The different methods of brewing will be discussed, and the complete sensory experience of beer tasting—sight, smell, and taste—will be explored. The tour begins in earnest at Indie Ale House, where owner and head brewer Jason Fisher will be lead a tour of the production facility, followed by a sampling of their beers. At The Saint Tavern, Executive Chef Jesse Vallins will discuss food and beer pairing over a lunch specially prepared by him. On a private tour at Steam Whistle Brewing, the group will see firsthand how a premium pilsner is made in their pristine facility. There will be a tasting, and tour members will be given a six-pack of Steam Whistle to take home. The tour concludes at Granite Brewery for a discussion of cask ales, a facility tour, another tasting, and a light meal. Over the course of the day, the group will have had opportunities to learn about brewing from several brewing experts at all production scales of craft brewing in Ontario.
All lessons, tours, tastings, food and transportation to and from the college are included in the price. Sign up for a day all about beer!
- 8:00 am: Meet at George Brown College’s St. James Campus (300 Adelaide St. East) for coffee and breakfast snacks made by our students
- 8:30 am: Lesson and tasting with Troy Burtch of Great Lakes Brewery
- 10:30 am: Indie Ale House for a tour and tasting with owner Jason Fisher
- 12:00 pm: The Saint Tavern for a lesson in food and beer pairings, and lunch prepared by Executive Chef Jesse Vallins
- 2:00 pm: Travel to Steam Whistle for a private tour and tasting, including a take-home six-pack
- 3:30 pm: Explore the craft and history of cask ale at Granite Brewery; the tour includes a tasting and service of a light meal
- 5:30 pm: Return to George Brown College’s St. James Campus